Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Garlic gumbalic gumbalic gumbaya

Hello hello! Stop cribbing about not updating the blog. I'm in Dubai. You are all now inconsequential worms.

So here's an update. Note the changed time and location. It was 80F today.

Turk Hava Yollari is a pretty decent airlines 'cept that you don't get ANY elbow room. Which isn't so much of a problem on the Chicago-Istanbul leg because there are nice Turkish women and families and people who shower. However, only smelly people travel to Dubai from Turkey. And they always end up sitting next to me. Oh, and THY lost one bag. Which means I have no shoes bar the ones I wore in and absolutely no office wear. Which means - SHOPPING! :)

Got my driver's license, a cellphone and registered for cable (dial-up is very painful - especially when Etisalat keeps blocking harmless jpegs). Shall start reorganizing the house tomorrow.

Which brings me to a question - how did we manage without paper towels in the kitchen all those years?

People drive like demented monkeys in Dubai. There seems to have been a population explosion and at least 10% of them are hanging around on the streets aimlessly. There is also incessant traffic. Mostly on the road right by our building at 3 am. Used to be a point where people would go home in the afternoons but now they're too busy jamming up the roadways. And remember how going to the airport always seemed like a long drive? And the clock tower was the highlight of Deira? No so anymore. We've got a kick-ass skyline. I shall post pictures just as soon as the cable is hooked up. No way I'm going through all that for your amusement on dial-up.

Mum's got a decent set-up. Flat screen monitor. Speakers that make you orgasm on blip. Plasma tele the size of most pianos. It's getting so I don't even mind the pink walls.

And this is my favourite part about being in Dubai - radio stations that play very awesome music!

More later. Time for a midnight snack. Meanwhile, read some mad messaging.

Nooches says:
aha! the eagle has landed!!
Wolfe says:
the bag has been lost
Nooches says:
oh no!
Wolfe says:
i tell you ... been around the world three times.. haven't lost a single thing.. and now, when i need it most.. one entire bag

Wolfe says:
i was eating syrian pickles earlier and thinking of you
Nooches says:
why?
Wolfe says:
cuz pickled veggies made me think of pickled cabbage which made me think of your pickled cabbage story
Nooches says:
ahh, i thought perhaps i reminded you of a pickled veggie
Wolfe says:
no.. you're not wrinkled enough

Wolfe says:
i had forgotten how convenient ladies' sections are..at etisalat and police station and things
Storm says:
so screw equal opportunity?
Wolfe says:
hey..nobody likes to wait with smelly pathans

Storm says:
hota hai.. chalta hai... duniya hai *takes glasses off and blows on lenses* ha ha *cue evil music*
Wolfe says:
*aims pressurised air container at your glasses*
Storm says:
eeek... not WHILE I'm wearing them!
Wolfe says:
sorry

Wolfe says:
why won't my pictures show in blog?
Storm says:
you must be being whacked by etisalat.. if you want to change proxy servers I have a page.
Wolfe says:
wot sort of girl do you take me for? you'll have to buy me dinner first
Storm says:
the kind that hates being stuck behind restrictive web proxies that whack simple jpgs
Wolfe says:
give me your page.. *sneaky attitude*
Storm says:
{URL} it's a bloody smorgasbord
Wolfe says:
and mamma's hungry

Oh yes, I do have lots of good geeky techy links for you. But that's another post.

No comments: