Monday, April 04, 2005

Typing, Madam, typing?

In my journeys to and from the Department of Immigration & Residence, I find a lot of photograph moments. Unfortunately, as I write this, I am in the back of Dad's labor transport van and a camcorder (or indeed a laptop) I fear, would not withstand the creaky suspension with any degree of fortitude.

Dad showed me a picture of a dish served in Emirates in the newspaper this morning. It was strawberries on cake topped with whipped cream. Said he wanted that for breakfast. I gave him his cherry jam on wheat toast and cheesed it before he could complain.

Arrived at Dept. of I & R. More negotiations with typing people in my future.

To those unfamiliar with 'typing people' let me explain - for all documents to be filed with the government one needs to fill out multiple forms in Arabic and these 'typing people' know which ones to fill and will fill them for you for a nominal fee. They also have an incredible knowledge of wot the procedures are to get things done. Saves you standing in line for hours to find that you need your grandmother's birth certificate and have to return to stand in a longer line the next day. Brilliant operations if you ask me.

No comments: