Saturday, July 02, 2005

SWAT against Cybercrime?

In an unmarked building in downtown Washington, Brian K. Nagel and 15 other Secret Service agents manned a high-tech command center, poised for the largest-ever roundup of a cybercrime gang. A huge map of the U.S., spread across 12 digital screens, gave them a view of their prey, from Arizona to New Jersey. It was Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2004, and Operation Firewall was about to be unleashed. The target: the ShadowCrew, a gang whose members were schooled in identity theft, bank account pillage, and the fencing of ill-gotten wares on the Web, police say. For months, agents had been watching their every move through a clandestine gateway into their Web site, shadowcrew.com. To ensure the suspects were at home, a gang member-turned-informant had pressed his pals to go online for a group meeting.
Do I smell a fast-paced action thriller? Or even a new computer game! Read the full story here...

2 comments:

Blame the Blog said...

fascinating...

Neha said...

AAAIIIEEEEEEE. I'm in Dxb, call me, in the night, call me, call me any anytime, call me. Or email me your deets and I'll call you...