Thursday, September 01, 2005

The School of Theology doubles as a fallout shelter

It's been almost a week and it feels like so much longer. Boston is a town for pedestrians. But not pedestrians who, at any given point, lug around heavy laptops and at least 3 binders bursting with information. Monday night was spent schmoozing with the Women's MBA Association which translates into - a housefull of shrill, high-pitched, career-oriented, sushi-snarfing chicks. Hostess was amazing. Her resume would probably be heavier than my laptop.

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday have been spent in orientation. Yes, 5 days of orientation. With one more to go tomorrow, thank heavens. Tons of work ahead. At least we get fed. Well, mostly.

When not in seminars and other planned events, I have been walking the streets looking for a place to live. Got my eye on this nice 3 BR/1 bath/prch/ht&hw place close to campus. Problem is, it's on the 2nd floor with no elevator. Good thing is, it's got hardwood floors. Which may be a pain in the winter but oh boy are they good to slide on.

I've got me a new phone. The Motorola V180. Pretty decent, 'cept I dropped it and now it's scratched. The navigation is very un-usable and non-intuitive and everytime I want to do something basic like delete a phonebook entry I start wishing I had read the manual.

Haven't seen the highly touted athletic center yet. S'posed to have all sorts of pool-ness going on. Will check it out when have settled in new apartment. Staying with friends in Newton and it's a very long walk from the subway stop, plus I have to go up one to change trains from school and it takes about an hour to get home by which time I'm drenched (it rains a lot these days) and very blistered. Hoping to get the housing situ sorted by this weekend so can enjoy last few days of non-stress and sit in Harvard Square snorting espressos with some brains.

Have met my team. Seem harmless enough. Got a Sherpa in the group. And a dentist. And a VP of finance. 'Cuz, you know, those are just the sort of folks who need double Masters' degrees in information systems and business administration.

No internet connection at where I'm staying right now, hence the gaps in blog posts. No time at school because too busy running around trying to get shit accomplished. But I'm sure once I've got my own place with wireless, you'll be seeing a lot more of me online. Until then, find comfort and solace in the fact that wherever you are, there's a girl in Boston walking down the street listening to MC Solaar wondering why you haven't called her yet.

Need to go order business cards now.

No comments: