Monday, December 26, 2005

Oh me oh my

but it's good to be home. Was woken up by a cuppa cha and a multi-tiered turkey breast and omelet sammich which was very well received given that dinner had not been had. After pottering around with the classifieds for a bit, I promptly went back to bed. Woke at 2 pm. Ate some more. Went for a drive around town with Pops. Met the Jains and a very effeminate Rajan (poor him). Then the fun part of the evening began. We went to my favorite place - the fruit and vegetable market.

Scoff if you will, but if you've never been on the Oman road to the F&VM on a cool December night, you haven't lived. That place has a language of its own. A head of cauliflower is called a dana. Betcha didn't know that. I was followed by a one-eyed Pathani with a wheelbarrow for quite some time. It was wierd. Anyway, we bought loads of stuff as always and spent about an hour or so cleaning and putting it away.

My father has gone bonkers. He made a salad with the following ingredients:
One boiled egg
Leftover omelet from this morning
Tomatoes (from Holland)
Cheddar cheese (Kraft, cubed)
Moolis (lots of them)
Chinese cabbage (or is it lettuce?)
Iceberg lettuce (only a leaf or two)
Green chilies
Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
Salt
Chaat masala
Lal mirchi powder
and ate it all. He actually ate it all! Mother gagged in the kitchen and muttered under her breath.

Have convinced Pops to use his new Ericsson and to donate his old Nokia to Mother since she dropped her Samsung in pregnant woman fluids so I could get MY old Nokia back so I now have a cellphone in Dubai. Don't ask about the pregnant woman fluids. You don't want to know. Makes me want to retch just thinking about it.

Speaking of Mother, it's her last night duty tomorrow. Yeppers, me Mum's retiring. So Pops and I shall wake up at the crack of bleedin' dawn to drive her to Ras Al Khaimah to drop her off. Pops booked a limo to go pick her up after her last day at work on the day after. I have been commissioned to charge up the camcorder. I wonder if there'll be champagne. Did I mention that there are all sorts of lights on the tunnels? I shall try and take a picture next time.

And on that note, I shall steal another orange from the fruit basket and toodle off to bed with an improving book.

I miss you, Em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back, back to blogging. Rest, sleep, drink OJ, googie loves yooooooooo leetle FEGGamole.

Wolfe said...

Freak. I miss you. Home ain't no home without yooo.