Tuesday, July 18, 2006

There were little pieces of blue glass all over the seat

It was pretty. Pretty frightening too.

So like, I went to NYC this last weekend to help set up BC's pad for the parents were arriving from their Scandinavian cruise (I now have a very cool Russian wrap with tassels and a lovely orange and black kurta from Dubai). And we huffed and puffed in the terrible heat (100F it was) and we tore boxes apart and we swept packing peanuts and we did 13 loads of laundry. Then we went to the airport and promptly got lost on the way.

But it was nice to see them. They've got swollen feet, poor things, from all that travelling.

I was all set to leave on Sunday and get back to Boston. But then as we were headed towards the car to drive me to the subway station, we saw him.

There he was. Big, black and a menance to society. Breaking the passenger side window of BC's car. Grabbing the lovely doctor's bag. She was running towards him. I was running towards the getaway car. Which nearly ran me over in its hurry to get away.

Here's a tip. DON'T EVER DO THAT. They could shoot you with guns and then where will you be?

The cops came. The cops went. We put the car in a secure lot and tottled back home. Poor BC was very upset. They took her Palm Pilot you know.

Dad woke me up at 4:30 am by shoving a bowl with cubes of Kraft cheddar cheese (yes, the kind you get in the tins in Dubai) under my nose. I'll bet you he wasn't hungry, he just wanted the tin to use as an ashtray. I unpacked 4 suitcases and repacked them. BC went to work and came home and we went to the police precinct and got the latest on this senseless crime. The getaway car was stolen.

Went to Sears and got an air conditioner because the parents were literally melting away (there were little pools at their feet). Got lots of groceries too. No, not at Sears, at the ShopRite. Installed the A/C. Ate an aloo. Got on the subway to get to the bus stop to get home. Crawled into my own bed at 1:30 am and couldn't sleep so was playing with Google Earth.

I can't find MIT on Google Earth. I found the Greens and most of KMC but I can't find MIT.

I did find lots of places in Dubai. You know, it's a fun thing to do, look for familiar places on Google Earth. Did you know that Sh. Rashid building, Zabeel Road is not rectangular? No, it's trapezoidal.

Finally got to sleep at 5 am. Have a vague feeling that Dad called at 7 but can't be sure. Had terrible dreams of ... something.. can't remember wot now. Eating bread and cheese and working from home because I'm exhausted.

BC is doing better. Could have been worse. We need to get her a secure parking spot in that building. Poor thing. She is quite small you know.

It's hotter than I've ever experienced. And I'm from the desert, I know hot. I shall get me an A/C too. If I can find the energy to get out of bed. Took a cold shower at 9 but it didn't work for long.

Oh look. Dad's on MSN.

No comments: