Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Hello D'mello

Fun maps.

Do you ever get the feeling that life is passing you by? Of course you do. That's the reason bookstores have self-help sections. The odd thing about reconnecting with old friends is that one seldom can. Old friends, when they're not an integral part of your life anymore, become friends-I-once-used-to-have. That is not to say that if I was lying bleeding in a ditch somewhere, they wouldn't call for the paramedics. I'm sure they would. My friends love me. Don't they? Ok, so some more than others. But this is wot I hate about moving. You leave your friends behind.

And then it's all over. Things will never be the same again. Nobody's going to knock on your door at 3 am with a bottle of wine to toast a deal gone through. Or drag your ass out of bed at midnight to go for a drive because the season's first snow has just fallen and it's luminescent and pretty and so gosh-darn romantic. Or invite you over for dinner with carrot soup and toasted bread because they somehow sensed that you didn't want to eat alone.

And you'll never find another just like them. Breaks my heart it does.

No comments: