Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Too much intelligence is a bad thing

This is because 'boys' don't want to marry very intelligent girls. So these are the standards by which I am expected to live my life. Don't be too intelligent girls, you may die a spinster. Am I the only one who sees the flaw in this reasoning? Why would you want to marry a 'boy' who doesn't want an intelligent wife? I'll tell you why. Because it doesn't take intelligence to have sex. And sex makes babies. Well, only if you do it right. And babies are all that matter. You're not allowed to not want to have babies. Because you couldn't possibly know wot's good for you. You're too immature to make your own decisions. You must follow your parents decisions. But Wolfie, you say, if you're too immature to know any better then it's not going to change after you get married. You'll still be immature. But you see there is a difference there. After you get married, your husband will make your decisions for you. So you're covered. Now isn't that a pleasant life?

So I'm to be married off. Yes, that's right, you heard me. This morning I got a lecture on how I've turned out to be this belligerent cannibalistic commando and am fast reaching my sell-by date and should be married off as soon as possible. Education shemeducation. Career shameer. Learn how to make a family. That's all you need to know. All you need to know for wot? To lead a happy successful life? I don't see you doing it. My case is different. I abandoned my family for education so I could get a better job to earn a good living so I could afford my children's bills. So, tell you wot. Let me finish wot I've started and then I can devote my entire day to cooking, cleaning and producing babies for my husband and his family and you. You'll be too old by then. All the good 'boys' will be taken. Now how do you argue with that impeccable logic?

So now begins the lovely process of going online with my matrimonial. Although we may not get that far - we've got a chap who lives in the same building who is unmarried and breathing and that is, I quote, "good enough for you".

Now why would you bother raising your girls to value education and be independent if you couldn't care less about their opinions? I'll tell you why. Because 'boys' don't like uneducated girls who can't drive a car to the market to get the day's groceries. Wot? You thought girl children were important? Silly. They're only important enough to marry off (presumably so someone else can foot the bills) and produce babies. Preferably boy babies. Cuz you know if they're girl babies they're going to have to be married off (presumably so someone else can foot the bills) and produce babies. Preferably boy babies.

Although if you were born a boy baby, then they'd want to marry you off (or is it in) for other reasons. One of which will be to make babies. Preferably boy babies. Cuz you know if they're girl babies they're going to have to be married off...

But I've got a plan of my own. I'm going to let them do it. Let them run around advertising my excellent cooking skills. Give them something to do. Let's see if they can come up with a 'suitable boy'. Ten bucks says if they do, then it will be 'hah, see I told you so' and if they don't, 'the problem lies with you, you're too old and militant'.

So anyway. There it is. It would be funny if it wasn't my life.

No comments: