Friday, July 29, 2005

There used to be a time...


... when my idea of a 7-course meal was taking a deep breath outside a restaurant. Not no more, me luvvies. I did bypass the entire 3-course lunches 2 week period of my life in early July but oh the stories I could tell of herb-encrusted lamb chops and Moroccan lamb stew and buckets of hummus and tabouleh.

So we went to visit visiting delegates at their hotel. Which we did find, by the way. It's on Computer Street. Close to the Curry. However, it is miles away from Dubai Ports Authority which is where the idiot receptionist told me it was. Ok, maybe not miles but certainly blocks. At no time in our dialogue was Computer St. mentioned. One would think they're trying to keep people away from their hotel. So anyway, we walk in and ask for Mr. and Mrs. Chap behind the counter says there ain't no Mr. and Mrs. at that hotel. Self restrains urge to biff chap on nose. Pops persists in the line of questioning. Chap denies presence of guests. Self restrains Pops from wanting to punch chap in nose. Chap is replaced by another chap who seems to know how to use the complicated computer system in front of him. He hits the 'enter' key. Mr. and Mrs. are in room 509 and we can use the house phone to ring them. Self propels Pops to house phone whilst collectively shooting evil glances at Chap #1.

So, like, while we were waiting we picked up 7 Days, Dubai's newest piece of shit rag and start thumbing to the food section to figure out where to take them to lunch. Hit on remarkable suggestion. The Sheraton has a brunch buffet! That's where we shall go, the cry resounds. Mr. and Mrs. enter stage right. They're short. Black Cobra, you should have warned me. I nearly stepped on them. Off we whisk them into the large green boat and after a little drive, arrive at the lovely Sheraton Hotel in Deira, which, if you ask me, is grossly underrated.

Mr. Sandeep Kar, Restaurant Manager of Vivaldi, was most gracious. Ten points to the staff - the service is bloody excellent. Now THIS is how I like my wait staff to be. Efficient and quiet. Plates are placed, plates are removed, smiles all around, nobody is pouncing on you to place your napkin in your lap (I can do without that level of proximity, thank you mr. waiter), chairs are discreetly maneuvered around you, no fuss, no muss. Brilliant. I highly recommend it. The food was excellent. Lots of variety. 18 types of salad. Freshly squeezed juices. Japanese, Indian, Italian and Continental cuisine. 26 types of dessert. Sugar-free tortes and meltingly wonderful cakes. The brilliantly brewed cuppa coffee was the perfect end to a lovely meal had in the spacious and beautifully decorated Vivaldi. And the view! Hoohah! The restaurant is arc-shaped, overlooking the creek and the water is so sparkling, and the sunshine is so cheerful, and the murals on the walls are so magnificently done that by the time you're seated and flicked the napkin onto your lap and sipped your fresh watermelon juice you feel relaxed and soothed and think to yourself, "God's in His heaven and all is right with the world."

By God, I'm going there every Friday.

So we talked of this and we talked of that and after 3 staggering hours of talking and eating and drinking, Self unobtrusively settled the bill of fare (which was very reasonable, I must say), patted mine host on the back and went off for a round of the textile market, gave them directions to Gold Souk and tootled off home. All in all, a very good day.

Pops is off playing cards with his cronies (I have the keys to the car! Haha!).

You know, I love it when people come to visit Dubai. Pops and I do the whole tourist thing and I am reminded over and over again why I like this city. I will take time out before I leave to walk the streets of Meena Bazaar and the creek tunnel and maybe even drive around looking for the source. I remember Pops and I did that once. We drove around looking for where the creek starts. We didn't find it but we did have a lot of fun searching.

I'm fat, lazy and sleepy now. Much like Garfield. So I will get into my pink jammies and lie on the couch, watching cartoons and doing the Friday puzzle.

3 comments:

Paresh said...

I really really hate you right now.
I miss home.

Wolfe said...

*hug bug nug*
Home is where the nookie.. er.. heart is.

Anonymous said...

how very lovely. I stopped for a minute when you said 26 types of dessert to imagine each one of them, very pleasurable.